emPolygonizer4 is a custom operator that allows you to create what is typically called metaballs.
The underlying technique used by this plug-in is called polygonizing a scalar field or marching cubes.
Marching cubes was invented in the mid-eighties by Lorensen and Cline, primary for the visualization of MRI data.
Numerous enhancements and self-developed features make this mesher go beyond the classic marching cube tool:
liquid filaments, motion plotting, vertex colors, texture coordinates (UVWs), multithreaded octree, fast smoothing techniques and the ability to use nulls, curves, polygon meshes and point cloud simultaneously as inputs make it a versatile tool for creating meshes.
The plugin consists of an Addon that contains a "DLL" file (Windows) or "so" file (Linux) for the custom operator (compiled C++ code for 64 bit versions of Softimage). Additionally, there are many VBScripts for the custom properties, some custom commands, etc.
This plugin follows the Softimage "workflow policy" and its usage is as easy and straight forward as any other of the tools contained in Softimage.
- Multithreaded meshing and improved overall meshing performance.
- Multithreaded octree.
- The motion vectors, the UVWs, the user normals and the vertex colors are now available as ICE data instead of clusters and cluster properties => more flexibility and better performance.
- Liquid filaments.
- Motion plotting.
- Texture coordinates (UVWs).
- Advanced mesh smoothing.
- Support of RealFlow .bin file format.
- Enhanced workflow for large setups.
- Handles millions of input points and creates polygon meshes with millions of polygons without problems.
- Support of multiple custom properties per input object.
- Capability of meshing a single point cloud with several emPolygonizer4 operators.
- Direct memory-to-memory meshing of the internal emFluid4 3D grids.