emFlock2 is a flocking solver for Softimage|XSI's ICE. It uses the three "classic ground rules of flocking":
- Separation will prevent the members from crowding and colliding.
- Alignment will make each member adapt its heading to the average heading of its visible neighbors.
- Cohesion will make each member want to go to the average position of its visible neighbors.
The plugin consists of an Addon for the flocking solver node (compiled C++ code for 64 bit versions of Softimage). Additionally, there are many compounds to control the speed and alignment of the particles.
This version also includes a set of compounds called emFly. These compounds allow you to define complex flying paths for the particles. Furthermore they allow you to make a flock of particles "morph" into a shape.
emFlock2 and emFly are well integrated into ICE and can be combined with the built-in ICE compounds like for example "Flow along Curve", "Forces", "Bounce from Surface", etc.
- Multithreaded neighboring and flocking.
- Compounds for speed and orientation control without flipping.
- Compounds to make flocks fly along specific paths and morph into specific shapes.
- Generation of complex flight paths using nearly any desired input in any desired combination (point clouds, polygon meshes, curves, etc.).
- New neighboring compound.
- Point clouds that use emFlock2 and emFly are still just "ordinary" point clouds => they can be cached and rendered just as any other point cloud.